custom navbar

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Conversation Journals

I've always believed that the best ideas in life come from those around us.  There are no new ideas just different renditions of old ones.  Many years ago when I was just starting out in teaching I had the grand opportunity to attend an SDE conference on multiage teaching.  I had visited a few multiage classrooms and read a lot and convinced my principal to let me try a 2/3 grade multiage classroom.  I truly believed its how kids should learn.  While I was at the conference I had the opportunity to hear Ellen Thompson speak.  She was a multiage educator in Vermont and I still have the notes I took back in 1996!  She had so many gems and I couldn't write fast enough!
I still employ many of her ideas in my classroom but one of my favorites is conversation journals.
Everyone has their own little journal with their name on it and I write them a note daily.  When they come in each morning it is part of the morning work they do while all of the kids file in.  They write me back and a one-on-one personal conversation happens with each kiddo every day.
We quickly needed to set ground rules for acceptable responses and writing structure.  As a teacher my #1 reason for using convo journals is to get to know my kiddos better but a fabulous bonus is that I learn so much about them as writers.  I can do a quick check of writing, punctuation, and spelling skills.  

I can model correct writer moves and they can mimic those moves when they respond.
I can listen to the celebrations as well as the tough stuff that is on kids minds.
We are currently negotiating what it means to "write back" and that we are in essence, texting on paper.  Sometimes I won't ask a question or write something that they can respond to but that doesn't mean they can't carry on the conversation.  I'll look for them to ask me something to keep the conversation going.

They are tiny for a reason...TIME.  It takes me about 20-30 minutes each afternoon to write in each journal and I usually take the small basket home with me and do them while I wait for my boy at soccer practice or while watching a little tv at night.  They are about .30 a piece but with the amount of knowledge I gain from them, I'd pay $5.00 a piece if I had to!
Although there is a time investment and you have to stay committed, it's one of my most favorite teaching moves.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...